The one thing that nearly everybody can support while watching the Super Bowl is the progression of new commercials that premiere during the broadcast. In addition to advertisements for beer, car, and household products, trailers for Hollywood’s biggest productions have become highly anticipated during the game.
Super Bowl LII without question featured the premiere of more thrilling trailers than in previous years. The collection of such advertisements this time around was wide-ranging.
The Star Wars Franchise
For many fans, the most anticipated moment of the evening was the premier of the trailer for “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”
In addition to installments for the third trilogy of Star Wars films, the franchise now regularly releases stand-alone movies not directly related to its main chapters. This is the second such effort, and it provides an origin story for the beloved Han Solo character.
Latest Installments from Other Franchises
In addition to Star Wars, other franchises debuted their newest upcoming entries.
- “Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom” – The revitalized dinosaur chaos franchise gets a second installment with Chris Pratt. The action-packed trailer suggests that the creatures will terrorize the United States.
- “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” – Remarkably, this will be the sixth entry since the first one premiered in 1996. Each one has starred Tom Cruise and has been wildly successful.
- “The Cloverfield Paradox” – From the looks of it, J.J. Abrams continues to keep fans guessing with another mysterious installment of this franchise. This one appears to take place in space.
- “Avengers: Infinity War” – This is the third movie for this comic book franchise. The previous two shattered numerous box office records.
An Anticipated Non-Sequel
The only prominent non-sequel film that had its trailer debut during the Super Bowl was for “Skyscraper” featuring Dwayne Johnson. It appears to be a nice companion piece to “San Andreas.”
Given the rise in popularity of prestige television shows that are often available for streaming, it is not so surprising that not all of the trailers were for movies.
- “Castle Rock” is a horror series that results from collaboration between J.J. Abrams and Stephen King.
- “Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac & the Notorious B.I.G.” is a USA Network series centered on the murders of the two hip-hop legends.
- “West World” premiered the trailer for its second season.